Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lady's Slipper - Pedilanthus Macrocarpus

Interesting Bloom

This flower is on a Succulent plant we have in our back yard. It has been blooming the past few weeks. This plant is nicknamed Desert Bamboo, Slipper Plant, and Lady's Slipper. My Internet research tells me its true name is Pedilanthus macrocarpus. 

This specimen has grown from a single stem (that may or may not have been broken off of a plant at a local movie theater by a member of my family that I am married to) into quite a specimen. It's growing in a large pot under a shade tree in our back yard. It has these interesting flowers that I couldn't resist snapping a few shots of the other day. I’ll try to get a shot of the whole plant to get a sense of the scale of these flowers. 



A friend posted a comment on my Flickr site that this plant reminds him of Medusa. Now i see the Medusa and her hair of snakes too... every time I look at it


No comments: