Monday, July 7, 2014

Chuckwalla @ South Mountain Park

This morning I found a Male Chuckwalla while out exploring on South Mountain in Phoenix. It was near the Communication Towers and was sunning itself on a large rock formation. It didn't stay around long once it saw me. He darted down into a crack in the rock. Some internet references claim these can get up to 16 inches long. I would guess this one was 10-12". 

It brought back many memories seeing it sunning on the rocks. My father once caught several of these and brought them home when I was about 10 years old (feels like hundreds of years ago). We had it as a "pet" for a while. I understand they bite pretty hard so we didn't touch it much. 

chuckwalla, red tail, desert, rocks, sunning, arizona, phoenix, south mountain, park, wild,

TV Road, south mountain, park, phoenix, arizona,

This is the area I found him. 
He was sunning on the black rocks in the upper third of this picture. 

No comments: