Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Horseshoe Bend - Page, Arizona

We recently spent the night in Page, Arizona. I took the opportunity to get up early and go see a few of the famous landmarks including Horseshoe Bend. It's located a few miles downstream from Glen Canyon Dam and about four miles from Page to the parking area. There is a half mile hike to the edge of the canyon. The trail will slow you down a little because it was mostly soft sand. 

I realize there are millions of pictures of this place but as long as I was in the area I needed to take “my” picture of it. My lens wasn't wide enough to capture the whole horseshoe so I took a series of seven images and stitched them together in Photoshop using the Photomerge feature. It works very well.

The early morning light and high clouds were perfect. I'm glad I took the time to visit this picturesque location. Pictures don't quite capture the true beauty of being there and seeing it with your own eyes. 

Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Colorado River. 



The sandy 1/2 mile trail...



As I approached the site it didn't look like much. There was one other photographer I could see. I included him many of the pictures so you could see the scale of this place. He is standing on the edge of the 1000 foot cliff overlooking Horseshoe Bend and the Colorado River



As I got closer the size of the canyon became apparent and a the canyon opened up with the beautiful greens and blues of the colorado river down below. 





The sides are steep and a beautiful red sandstone. I believe they call it Navajo Sandstone. It was well worth the effort to get up early to be with the first light of the day. This is beautiful country! More info here: Horseshoe Bend, AZ

No comments: