Saturday, March 15, 2014

Crossing Shot - Thunderbirds at Luke AFB – 3/14/14


This is one of those moments where everything came together.  Some things happen so fast that to capture them there is a HUGE degree of luck involved. This is the result of one of those moments with a heavy dose of luck. 

USAF Thunderbirds photo 2014 Cross perfect timing

I spent a Friday afternoon at Luke Air Force Base with coworkers. It was Friends and Family day. It’s also a day the Thunderbirds do a run through of their show before the official air show on Saturday and Sunday. 

I knew there would be an opportunity or two to capture a crossing shot during the show. I setup the camera the best I could to give me a fighting chance to capture this moment in time. I set aperture at f/8 for good sharpness and ISO at 1250 so I would get a fast shutter speed. The camera set it at 1/8000. 

The announcer pointed out the planes that were approaching from opposite ends of the runway. I picked the one on the left to pan with as they approached. That way I would at least have one plane in the picture and focused. I kept the camera on the first plane and watched out of the corner of my eye for the other one as it closed quickly. I fired off a shot that I thought was early and this was the result. Not too early this time! I could try for the rest of my life and never get one timed this good. These planes are moving along at a pretty good clip and are only together like this for a fraction of a second. 

The camera was good to me yesterday! 

This was one of my other attempts at this... as you can see I was a little late. 






No comments: